Addison Family of Marco Island

                                                       Misc. Biographies


                               Ruby Lee (Addison) Ruby Lee Addison, w/ son Donnie Shown here with son Donnie

                                                                                              1929 - 2010

   Ruby Lee Addison was born Jan.8, 1929, the daughter of George Addison and Lessie Lee (Daughtrey) Addison. She was a Florida native, born in Citrus Center, which was in Glades County,.Citrus Center is an abandoned ghost town now, listed in "Ghost Towns Of Florida". Her mother Lessie was born in Fort Ogden, in Desoto County in 1911.

     Ruby was descended from a long line of Florida natives. On her mother Lessie's side, she was the grandaughter of Henry Washington "Bud" Daughtrey and Sarah Floyd Williams and her great grandparents were John Daughtrey and Rebecca Ellen Williams of Fort Ogden, Desoto County, FL.and also great grandparents Nathan Knight Williams and Celia ( Durrance) Williams also of Desoto County. She was also descended from great great grandparents Rowland Williams and Nancy Annie (Sweat) Williams and her 3rd great grandparents Abner Sweat and wife Rebecca (Anderson )Sweat of Columbia County, FL.  Abner Sweat 1776 - 1858 is listed in the 1840 and 1850 Columbia County, FL. census records.
    On her paternal side, Ruby's father was George Addison, the son of Albert Benjamin Addison and Charity (Newell) Addison, who settled and homesteaded on Marco Island in the late 1890's. The Addison's were a large family and their many descendants still live in and around the area today.
Ruby grew up in the Marco and Naples areas, the oldest of five children. She had two brothers, George Gerald Addison and William Fred Addison, and two sisters  Patricia Joyce Addison and Doris Rebecca Addison. Her brother George Gerald died in 1957 in his twenty's when he was struck by lightning at the old Monroe Station out on the Tamiami Trail headed towards Miami.
     In 1947, at age 18, Ruby married Cale Howard Jones Jr, the son of Naples Police Chief Cale H. Jones Sr. and his wife Alice. Cale and Ruby had one child together,a daughter Mary. The marriage ended in divorce. She remarried a second time in 1951 to Norwood Donnie Strickland , son of Norwood and Barbara Strickland of Bonita Springs, FL. Donnie was a deputy for the Naples Police Dept. She was widowed when he passed away in 1956 from a heart attack while off duty. He and Ruby had one son together, Donnie Lee Strickland.
    In 1960, Ruby married for the third time, to Joseph Michael Collins, son of Michael and Vivian Collins of Naples. They were married until Joseph's death in 2002, a period of 42 years, living most of their married life in Naples and later Moore Haven Florida.. They had one daughter together, Colleen Collins. They also raised a grandaughter Vivian Collins, daughter of Colleen.
     Ruby loved the beach and was an avid shell collector. During her younger years, she loved going to Sanibel Island, walking the beaches for hours at a time searching for shells. In the mid 1950's, she worked for awhile at Corwins shells out on the Tamiami Trail at Royal Palm Hammock, no doubt because of her love for shells. She also at one time worked as a phone operator at the old Telephone Company on 5th Avenue in Naples, and later she was able to stay at home for a few years without working outside the home, which she enjoyed. After moving to Moore Haven, she worked for many years at the Senior Citizens because she enjoyed spending time with friends her own age..She developed many lasting friendships there over the years.  She also loved working in her yard and growing her flowers. In later years, she enjoyed her crafts.
    Ruby passed away in Moore Haven, Fl on Friday, April 30, 2010.  At the time of her death, she was survived by her daughters and several grandchildren and great grandchildren. She was also survived by her two sisters Joyce and Doris, and her brother Fred.
She was preceeded in death by her son Donnie Lee Strickland in 2007.                      

                                                                                                                                                    Copyright 2010 M O'Neil


                                                                                      George Addison & wife Lessie George and wife Lessie

                                                    George Addison 1905 - 1989


     George Addison was born on March 29,1905 on George Island, near Marco Island Florida..He was one of nine children born to Capt.Albert Benjamin Addison and his wife Charity Newell Addison.. George's father Albert was originally from England and migrated to the United States through Ellis Island in 1888, after which he settled and homesteaded on Marco Island, making a living fishing and as a fishing guide. It was said that Albert was nicknamed "The Judge" because he was so smart and well educated, having been schooled in England.  George's mother Charity Newell was born in Texas in 1875, the daughter of Edward Robert Newell and Charity Ann (Wright) Newell. Her parents also migrated to Marco Island in the 1800's. It was said that her parents traveled all the way from Texas to Marco Island in a boat, following the coast line.

   George and his siblings grew up on Marco Island. He fished and hunted and loved helping his father tend the garden. He developed a love for gardening from his father at a very young age which lasted a life time. He also loved fishing and when younger fished for a living alongside his brothers who all worked in the fishing industry. He also dabbled in odd jobs here and there and eventually developed a liking for carpentry and this became his chosen occupation until he retired.
He married his wife Lessie Lee Daughtrey on May 22,1927 in Lee County, Florida. Lessie was the daughter of Henry Washington "Bud"Daughtrey and Sarah Floyd Williams Daughtrey. Lessie was born in Fort Ogden, Desoto County, Florida, migrated with her family to Moore Haven Florida and then later they settled in Marco and Ochopee. It is believed this was where she and George first met.
George and Lessie had five children, Ruby b.1929, George Gerald b.1931, William Fred b.1934, Patricia Joyce b.1936 and Doris b.1939.
    George moved his family to Naples sometime before 1935, and they are listed as living in Naples in the 1935 and 1945 Florida State census records. They liked Naples and this became their permanent home where they raised their children and lived the remainder of their lives. They lived for a while off the East Trail near the bridge, later moving to Shadowlawn Drive where George built their new home. In the beginning, they had no running water in the house, so they carried well water daily from the water pump in the back yard. They heated water on the stove for baths and for washing dishes. They eventually had running water in the house, but it was many years later. They lived in that house for several years. At that time, Shadowlawn drive bordered mostly woods and George and his sons did a lot of hunting. There were only a few neighbors scattered around the area and everyone hunted back then., which was how most people kept food on their tables. Many years later Shadowlawn School was built almost directly across the street from their home, and n the late1970's they sold the house on Shadowlawn Drive to the Assembly Of God Church which had been built next door to them a few years before, and they moved to Burton Road off Airport Rd. Their new home was directly across the street from the old Swamp Buggy Grounds. George and Lessie lived in this house until George's death in 1989. Not long after, Lessie moved in with her daughter Joyce who then lived in Lake Placid, FL. and she sold the home on Burton Road.
     No story would be complete without telling of the loss of George's and Lessie's oldest son George Gerald Addison on August 18,1957 when, in his 20's, he was struck and killed by lightning at the old Monroe Station at Royal Palm Hammock off the Tamiami Trail going towards Miami. This was a devastating loss for George and his family. Gerald was buried in Naples Memorial Gardens with full military honors, having been a veteran of the Korean War.
    George and Lessie lived to see and enjoy eighteen grandchildren and seventeen great grandchildren..George passed away in Naples Community Hospital on April 4,1989 at the age of 84. He is buried in Naples Memorial Gardens in Naples Florida alongside his beloved wife Lessie, who passed away in 1992 from injuries sustained in an auto accident while she was visiting family in Ohio.

                                                                                                                                                   Copyright 2005 M O'Neil


 Copyrighted - Used with permission.

 Richard Addison and wife Susan

From the Polk County Historical Society Quarterly Magazine.
Sept.1995 - Vol.22 - Number 2 - Pg.6
" A Loughman Pioneer"
by Doratea W.K. Addison
  Richard Addison at the age of 19 came to the Laughman area of Polk County from Portsmouth, England. In 1878 he acquired 16.0 acres for a homestead. With the help of neighbors he started a grove and garden and built a small house. He worked on the property for eleven years, then he went to Ponce DeLeon, Florida to claim his bride, Susan Flowers, who was a native of Ozark, Alabama. They were married December 19,1889, and came to reside on the homestead for the rest of their lives. Richard was registered to vote in Haines City in 1886 in precinct 15. His name was transferred to Loughman when precinct 22 was established in 1908.
  They lived without electricity or running water. They had a grove, garden, and raised chickens, cows and hogs for their food and to sell for additional income. They also grew sugar cane to make syrup and kept bees to make honey.They canned vegtables and fruits and butchered their own animals and cured the meat for their table. Mr. Addison took produce from his home to Loughman in a horse-drawn wagon. The workers at the Everglades Cypress Company were his customers. 

 The family did all the work and each one had his job. Wood had to be cut for heating and cooking. Water had to be pumped and hauled to wash clothes and dishes and for bathing. All helped with the farm work and feeding the livestock. In the spring and fall they shopped by mail from Sears and Roebuck for their clothes and supplies.
 The family were members of the First Baptist Church of Loughman. The children attended Hancock School which was 8 miles a day to walk. The children were taught at home by their elders until they could walk the 8 miles a day.
  The Addison homestead became an attraction. Mr.S.R.Fields, owner of the Fields Hotel, would take his guests out by horse and buggy to show what could be done in Florida.
Children of Richard and Susan Frances Flowers Addison:
Richard Benjamin Addison married Nellie Marie Clark,
Joseph Lee Addison married Claudia Lee.
James Thomas Addison married Wilma Mooney,
George W. Addison married Doratea White,
Mary Victoria Addison married Arthur Wesley Brannon,
Eliza Frances Addison married Aaron Reaves,
Maggie Addison married William E.Lassiter,
Gertrude Addison married John Everett Goodman.
Susan and Richard celebrated their golden wedding anniversary December 12,1938. Susan Frances died December 12,1942. Richard died in 1952.
Editors Note:
When George Addison was video taped as a Polk County Pioneer in 1987, he told of the service station, garage and grocery in Loughman that he and Doratea ran. He also described a trip to England to his father's place of birth.






                                                  Story of Hub Storter - Husband of Dolly Charity (Addison)

End of an Era -- Herbert Storter
Copyrighted - Used with Permission

Reprint from the Naples Daily News/Marco Eagle,
 August 5, 2006 - by Jeremy Cox 


The Death of Patriarch Herbert "Capt. Hub" Storter, 96, leaves a void as wide as the indelible mark his family has left on the Southwest Florida landscape.  Herbert Storter said he wanted his wife of 77 years to outlive him because he couldn't bear to be without her. Failing in that, he sought to die one minute after her so the two of them could "cross the Jordan" together, holding hands.

 Storter, a career fisherman, was running a fish house on Marco Island in 1927 when he met and fell in love with a girl named Dolly Addison.  Against her father's will, the couple eloped the following year to the newly renamed town of Everglades City.  Storter's uncle, George Jr., Collier County's first judge, officiated the brief ceremony.
The groom was 19 years old; the bride 14
The couple died 13 days apart from each other last month at a Fort Myers nursing home.  Herbert Storter broke his promise to die first.  His anguish, family members say, killed him.  Storter's death July 25 at the age of 96 signaled the end of an era.





In the days before "Starting in the Low $300s" became Collier County's  unofficial motto,there was the Storter family.
Herbert, or "Capt. Hub" as he was widely known, was the last survivor of a pioneer class of Storters
that left an indelible mark on Southwest  Florida's landscape and its history books. His grandfather, George. Sr., was one of the region's earliest settlers, arriving in what is now Everglades City in 1881.  Eight years later, George Jr. paid $800 for the future town site, and Robert Bembery Storter, Herbert's father and
George Jr.'s brother, christened it as "Everglade."
George Jr. and Robert had 18 children between the two of them, giving the growing fishing community an instant population.  Born in 1909, Herbert Morrison Storter was the eighth of nine siblings.
Over the next several decades, members of his generation would assume top positions of power in various local governments, invigorate a burgeoning fishing industry, write the area's first historical tomes and inspire the naming of a Florida university's mascot.  Herbert himself kick-started the practice of shrimping off Fort Myers Beach, which now holds a shrimp festival every March.

 He and Dolly also helped found the Naples Church of God and were the last of its surviving charter members.
"The man never seemed to age," the Rev. Elwood Kern, the Church of God's current pastor, said as he stood beside Herbert's open casket at his funeral. Herbert cut a lean, energetic figure and retained his coal-black hair until the last few,feeble years when all but a spot below his crown turned gray.
"He seemed to be eternal, so it's going to be rough not to have him around anymore,"Kern added. "He's with his mother. He's with his daddy. He's with his beloved Dolly. He's with those who have gone before."Pioneering spirit Vera Bennett, daughter of Herbert's brother Wilbur, is the family's historian. She has filled six scrapbooks with photographs, newspaper clippings and brief reminisces.  She considers her work unfinished.
Flipping through one of the books last Tuesday afternoon, Bennett paused at a yellowed picture of her grandmother, Nancy Stephens Storter.  The mid-1950s newspaper article proclaimed that the pioneer woman was celebrating her 80th birthday."I look at that and think she only had  two or three years left to live and here I'm 80," said Bennett, who has soft, hazel eyes and a thick thatch of gray hair.  "But one of my mother's sisters lived to be 100. I think people live longer these days." As captured in Bennett's pages, time moved at remarkable speed. In the span of a few pages, a blurry toddler in Victorian dress would morph into a rope-armed young man, a beaming father and finally an old man with leathery skin.

 A newspaper obituary noted all there was left to say.
The Storter story begins with George Washington Storter,
who emigrated from Alsace, France, in 1835 with his parents and brothers.who emigrated from Alsace, France, in 1835
with his parents and brothers. His parents died and, at 7 years old, George was adopted by the clerk of the circuit court in New Orleans.
 During the Civil War, George served as a sergeant for the Second Alabama Cavalry and was an escort to Confederate President Jefferson Davis. After the war, George's wife and first-born son died. Around 1875, he and his two surviving sons, George Jr. and Robert, left Eutaw, Ala., for Florida. Traveling by ox cart, the three men settled near Fort Ogden and later continued south to Everglade. They began farming the fertile soil and turned out a sugar cane crop year after year without replanting. George Sr., a tin smith, fashioned the cans that held the syrup.
Every year, they could can between 200,000 and 300,000 gallons of syrup.The house that George Jr. built for his growing family is now the Rod and Gun Club. It still rests near Storter Avenue.
The family's reign over Everglade ended in 1922, when George Jr. sold all the property in town to Barron Collier.
 The next year, the advertising tycoon persuaded the state Legislature to give him his own county in exchange for the businessman's help in extending Tamiami Trail
to Miami.
The Storters moved to Naples and were instrumental in the town's early growth.
 One of Herbert's brothers, Claude, was a Naples city councilman for 18 years before dying in office.A newspaper clipping from the late 1950s in one of Bennett's scrapbooks gives this account of Claude's death:
"He could have resigned from City Council long ago and probably lengthened his life, but his devotion to duty was such that he insisted on finishing out his work despite poor health." George Jr. was the first chairman of the Collier County Commission and later resigned to become the county's first judge.
Another one of Herbert's brothers, Rob Storter, collected the family's stories in a series of booklets, culminating in a collection called "Crackers in the Glade," published in 2000, 13 years after his death.
The family's influence extended beyond Southwest Florida.  One of Herbert's cousins, Neal, is believed to have been the source of the University of Florida's nickname,the Gators — a notion he would later dispute and, even later, ambiguously embrace. Lacking a complete education, Neal enrolled at UF's then-new Gainesville campus in 1907 as a sub-freshman. His swampy origins earned him the nickname "Brother Gator," which became shortened to "Bo Gator."Neal, a center, was an important part of the university's successful football team in 1911,the same year newspapers began calling the team "the Alligators."In 1928, Neal said the nickname was coined by a Macon, Ga., reporter. But more than 30 years later, he claimed the "Bo Gator" theory "bordered on the truth."

                                                                "She was his baby"

While other Storters made their names on the football field or in public office, most, including Herbert, adopted the family business: fishing.
Herbert Storter was born on July 27, 1909, in Fort Myers, where his family lived briefly.His brothers Rob and George taught him how to fish when he was 16 years old. Herbert split his time between guiding and fishing. When he began dating Dolly, her father, Albert Addison, immediately objected to the pairing.
The girl was too young and Herbert wasn't good enough for her.
"She was his baby," Herbert and Dolly's elder daughter, Marian McRae, said.
One day, Herbert intercepted Dolly on her way to Sunday school on Marco Island. She promptly hid her books under a friend's house and hopped into his car."We went across the ferry boat — the only way other than boat off the island," Herbert said in the 12-page memoir he wrote at a doctor's urging in the last years of his life.
"The man that was running the ferry knew we were running away.  Her parents found out she was gone and they started to look for her.
"The man on the ferry stayed on the other side. They were blowing their horns for him to come back over and put them on our side," Herbert wrote.Herbert and Dolly raised two daughters, Marian and Voncile.
 Over the years, though, Dolly's father never forgave his son-in-law for his brash act and never allowed Herbert to set foot on his property.
But as he approached death, Addison's rancor mellowed somewhat.
"I never liked him," he once told Voncile. "He's been a good husband and a good father,and I'll give him that. But he took my daughter when she was too young."
 After a stint in the Coast Guard during World War II, Herbert returned to fishing but was soon drawn to shrimping.He would go on to own 22 shrimp boats at one time or another and trawl his way around the Gulf of Mexico from the Dry Tortugas to Campeche, Mexico.
Conventional wisdom held that it wasn't worth the effort to shrimp off Fort Myers Beach.Nets would snare and snap on the stump coral that dotted the sea floor.Herbert and his son-in-law, George McRae, solved this problem by outfitting the nets with a steel cable.
The "tickler chain" would scour the bottom in front of the net, sweeping away any obstacle in its path.In a span of 10 to 12 days off Fort Myers Beach, Herbert could catch 5,000 to 6,000 pounds of shrimp,
an amount that would take about a month to amass at the more popular Campeche grounds, George McRae said.Dolly would track her husband's movements and communicate with him daily over a radio in the couple's
living room. When he was away, the radio was never turned off.
At 86 years old, Herbert finally retired from fishing, but he continued to work for several more years in packing houses and as a security guard.
 During the last three years of his life, poor circulation and arthritis left him bedridden. A paralyzed esophagus prevented Dolly from eating solid foods toward the end.She entered a nursing home on Feb. 15 this year.
Herbert joined her on March 1, and they soon shared the same room.
 About three weeks before Dolly's death, Marian approached her father with a question.
"Do you realize mother is dying?" she asked. "Yes, I do," was his reply.
She asked if he wanted to say goodbye, and he said he did. Marian took her father to her mother's side. Herbert rubbed his wife's hands for a moment and petted her cheeks. "Thank you for 77 years," he told her.
For the first time in five days, Dolly opened her eyes. She tried to speak. The words came slowly and with difficult pauses between them.
But her message was clear.
"I ... love ... you ... too."
Information from "Crackers in the Glade" by Rob Storter and
 "A Brief History of the Everglades City Area" by Marya Repko was used in this story.

Link to the original article

Note: Story used with permission.